Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Lent

For Lent the last couple of years, I've given up Facebook.  Last year, I gave up fast food as well.  This year I gave up Facebook and fast food again...

So I'm lonely and I can't even eat my feelings with the food I want.  (Taco Bueno, I miss you!)

I recently read an article about how people who spend a lot of time on social media sites are less happy than those who don't.  Well, I disagree.  Maybe I shouldn't have given it up this year.  I almost didn't, but the point is sacrifice, and it is something I miss.

So what do I miss?  I miss feeling connected.  Facebook gives me a sense of being connected to others, whether it's a true or false sense.  Right now I feel disconnected.  I was not truly aware--be it denial or something else--until I gave up Facebook.  I don't know which is sadder, that I am depressed without Facebook or that Facebook tricked me into feeling less alone than I am?  Thank goodness spring break is next week and I will get to see one of my best friends and some wonderful family members :).

I know we are over the hump with this whole deployment thing, but some days (evenings especially) are harder than others.  I guess tonight's just one of those nights.

This too shall pass...  Hopefully soon!



1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I had a question for you about possibly collaborating on something and was hoping you could email me back to discuss? Thanks so much!

    - Emma

    emmabanks9 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete