Thursday, May 3, 2012

A letter from a student

Today I woke up sad.  And then I read this email from a student:


Mrs. Barber,
I wanted to send you this email because I am so much better at expressing myself through writing than in person, but want to talk to you sometime before summer as well. These past couple of days, your attitude has been such a light. I know your life may seem kind of dark right now and you might feel down, but your ability to break out of that is inspiration to me. When you were so honest and told us you needed a day to just be sad, you still held it together for us because you aren't going to let one thing in your life negatively affect the other things. The beginning of this year I was having a really hard time finding joy in the darkness when we lost a close family friend. I fought the negativity, and though I'm still sad and it's still hard I'm able to be joyful. The way that you are so easily able to put a smile on your face for the sake of others is remarkable and so selfless. I hope you realize, even in your humility, how truly amazing you are in handling this. I have a potentially busy summer, but will be here most weekends. I wanted to offer to babysit because I know that you'll be alone with the kids all summer. Even if it's just while you run some errands, I'd be more than willing to help out in any way possible because you deserve it. If not, I'll be helping out by praying for you, your husband, and your kids to understand the best you all can and be safe. I've had so much respect for your strength and optimism these past couple of days. Let me know what I can do to help out. Thank you for being a light and an inspiration to us all.


After reading that and an inspirational message from a high school friend (thanks, Alli!), I knew I could make it through the day.  And so far I have!

XOXO,

1 comment: